Skip to main content

Breaking News – Personalize Your Own Online Newspaper with NewsCred


man-reading-newspaperYour personal newspaper in less than 5 minutes.
Custom news sites are nothing novel. Google itself has a Custom News feature. Then there are a host of other news aggregators like Meehive and DailyMe. We have top lined quite a few ourselves. These web services allow you to personalize your news just the way you want it. Choose from the news categories you want and there you have it – personalized news service culled from some of the top sources around the web.
NewsCred is not exactly the new kid on the block but its recent avatar is. Originally founded in 2007 and launched in 2008 as a socially powered aggregator, NewsCred has turned a new page with its current motto. NewsCred now lets you create your personal online newspaper in less than 5 minutes. Just like a newspaper, you get your own editorial to write. The Pro version is an upgrade with a price but will let you run ads, have your own domain and give you more designing options.

But the free version sounds interesting if it can really help me set up my newspaper in less than 5 minutes. Let’s start the clock…
The log-in is absolutely straightforward with the first field asking me for a name for my newspaper. The name also decides the URL where my personal newspaper gets parked.
Newscred01
With my newspaper created, I step into the page where I have to make a few choices regarding the content I want in the pages. This is where NewsCred lives up to its claim of ‘under 5 minutes’ by giving me an easy checkmark solution to selecting the news topics. But content is not sacrificed as there’s a huge list to select and click through. All news segments are well covered.
Newscred02
A click on the large green Done button and my newspaper is launched with a typical online newspaper feel. The default look reminded me about Reuter’s last web look. It’s very neat but if you want to add a bit of color to the background, pick out a Color Theme from the left placed dropdown.
Newscred03
All my selected content is arranged on the left hand column. I can reorder it or add and delete to it. The Front-page is the landing page of my newspaper.
NewsCred follows 2500+ news sources. That gives me plenty of choices to select from if I am not satisfied with my first selection. The Add News button adds any new categories to my list to personalize my news feeds.
Newscred04
Here is where I would have liked to go back to the initial wizard just to see the topics and sources I could select from. But I have to make do with the field box and the suggestions that come with it. I can also add a feed URL.
NewsCred also lets me create more than one newspaper in the same account. I have to give it a new name for the new URL. This is a plus as it lets me have content without cluttering up one news page. For instance, I can make one newspaper for the serious topics and another one for fun activities like movies and sports. Also, I can flip quite easily from newspaper to the other.
Newscred05
Each topic page also gives me other options. I can filter news sources, watch related videos and also take another look at the other topics related to my selected one. Below are the news sources for my technology page.
Newscred06
The one unique feature in the free service is the addition of a self editorial. It helps the news junkies because one can share an opinion with the rest of the community. You can also view other newspapers created by community NewsCred members.

Is NewsCred worth a read?

In terms of news readability, the answer has to be a yes. It doesn’t try to do anything fancy, but underlines its goal of letting anyone start a news page in less than 5 minutes. I did it in less. What I liked about the site was the control it gave me and the collection of news from many sources including blogs and Twitter. Some sections like sports could have done with more choices.
A newsstand has many offers competing for our attention. So it is with the web and the gamut of news offerings. As a web application like NewsCred demonstrates, there is a lot of news out there. We just have to pick a way to read it. Is NewsCred the way for you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Hide Text In Microsoft Word 2007, Reveal It & Protect It

Sometimes what we hide is more important than what we reveal. Especially, documents with sensitive information, some things are supposed to be ‘for some eyes only’. Such scenarios are quite common, even for the more un-secretive among us. You want to show someone a letter composed in MS Word, but want to keep some of the content private; or it’s an official letter with some part of it having critical data. As important as these two are, the most common use could involve a normal printing job. Many a time we have to print different versions of a document, one copy for one set of eyes and others for other sets. Rather than creating multiple copies and therefore multiple printing jobs, what if we could just do it from the same document?  That too, without the hassle of repeated cut and paste. We can, with a simple feature in MS Word – it’s just called Hidden and let me show you how to use it to hide text in Microsoft Word 2007. It’s a simple single click process. Open the document

Clip & Convert Your Video Faster With Quicktime X & The New Handbrake 64-bit [Mac]

Recently a friend of mine asked for my help to find a video of a good presentation to be shown to one of his classes. He also requested for it to be iPod friendly as he would also distribute the video to his students. Three things came to my mind: Steve Jobs, Quicktime and Handbrake . Mr. Jobs is well known for his great presentations which are often used as references. I have several Apple Keynotes videos. For my friend, I decided to choose the one that introduced MacBook Air – the one that never fails to deliver the wow effect to the non-techie audience. It’s a part of January 2008 Macworld Keynote. First step: The Cutting To get only a specific part of the Keynote, I clipped the 1+ hour video into about 20 minutes using Quicktime X (which comes with Snow Leopard). I opened the movie using Quicktime X and chose Trim from the Edit menu ( Command + T ). Then I chose the start and end of my clip by moving both edges of the trimming bar to the desired position. To increase th

Ex-Skypers Launch Virtual Whiteboard Deekit

Although seriously long in the tooth and being disrupted by a plethora of startups, for many years Skype has existed as an almost ubiquitous app in any remote team’s toolkit. So it seems apt that a new startup founded by a team of ex-Skype employees is set to tackle another aspect of online collaboration. Deekit, which exits private beta today, is a virtual and collaborative whiteboard to help remote teams work smarter. The Tallinn, Estonia-based startup is headed up by founder and CEO, Kaili Kleemeier, who was previously a Head of Operations at Skype. She and three colleagues quit the Internet calling giant in 2012 and spent a year researching ideas in the remote team space. They ended up focusing on creating a new virtual whiteboard, born out of Kleemeier’s experience collaborating with technical teams remotely, specifically helping Skype deal with incident management. “Working with remote teams has been a challenge in many ways – cultural differences, language differences, a